Warrant dated as of June 23, 2006, issued by Xethanol Corporation to Global Energy and Management LLC.
NEITHER THESE SECURITIES NOR THE SECURITIES ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THESE SECURITIES HAVE BEEN REGISTERED WITH THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION OR THE SECURITIES COMMISSION OF ANY STATE IN RELIANCE UPON AN EXEMPTION FROM REGISTRATION UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE “SECURITIES ACT”), AND, ACCORDINGLY, MAY NOT BE OFFERED OR SOLD EXCEPT PURSUANT TO AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR PURSUANT TO AN AVAILABLE EXEMPTION FROM, OR IN A TRANSACTION NOT SUBJECT TO, THE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE SECURITIES ACT AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS AS EVIDENCED BY A LEGAL OPINION OF COUNSEL TO THE TRANSFEROR REASONABLY ACCEPTABLE TO THE COMPANY TO SUCH EFFECT, THE SUBSTANCE OF WHICH SHALL BE REASONABLY ACCEPTABLE TO THE COMPANY. THESE SECURITIES AND THE SECURITIES ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THESE SECURITIES MAY BE PLEDGED IN CONNECTION WITH A BONA FIDE MARGIN ACCOUNT SECURED BY SUCH SECURITIES.
Warrant No. ____
Original Issue Date: June 23, 2006
Xethanol Corporation, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), hereby certifies that, for value received, Global Energy and Management, LLC or its registered assigns (the “Holder”), is entitled to purchase from the Company up to a total of 20,000 shares of Common Stock (each such share, a “Warrant Share” and all such shares, the “Warrant Shares”), at any time and from time to time from and after the first anniversary of the Original Issue Date (subject to the provisions of Section 4 hereof) and through and including June 23, 2010 (the “Expiration Date”), and subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. Definitions. As used in this Warrant, the following terms shall have the respective definitions set forth in this Section 1. Capitalized terms that are used and not defined in this Warrant that are defined in the Organizational Agreement (as defined below) shall have the respective definitions set forth in the Organizational Agreement.
“Business Day” means any day except Saturday, Sunday and any day that is a federal legal holiday in the United States or a day on which banking institutions in the State of New York are authorized or required by law or other government action to close.
“Common Stock” means the common stock of the Company, par value $.001 per share, and any securities into which such common stock may hereafter be reclassified.
“Exercise Price” means $6.85, subject to adjustment in accordance with Section 9.
“Fundamental Transaction” means any of the following: (1) the Company effects any merger or consolidation of the Company with or into another Person, (2) the Company effects any sale of all or substantially all of its assets in one or a series of related transactions, (3) any tender offer or exchange offer (whether by the Company or another Person) is completed pursuant to which holders of Common Stock are permitted to tender or exchange their shares for other securities, cash or property, or (4) the Company effects any reclassification of the Common Stock or any compulsory share exchange pursuant to which the Common Stock is effectively converted into or exchanged for other securities, cash or property.
“Original Issue Date” means the Original Issue Date first set forth on the first page of this Warrant.
“New York Courts” means the state and federal courts sitting in the City of New York, Borough of Manhattan.
“Organizational Agreement” means the Organizational Agreement, dated June 23, 2006, between the Company and Global Energy and Management, LLC pursuant to which this Warrant is being issued.
“Trading Day” means (i) a day on which the Common Stock is traded on a Trading Market (other than the OTC Bulletin Board), or (ii) if the Common Stock is not listed on a Trading Market (other than the OTC Bulletin Board), a day on which the Common Stock is traded in the over-the-counter market, as reported by the OTC Bulletin Board, or (iii) if the Common Stock is not quoted on any Trading Market, a day on which the Common Stock is quoted in the over-the-counter market as reported by the Pink Sheets, LLC (or any similar organization or agency succeeding to its functions of reporting prices); provided, that in the event that the Common Stock is not listed or quoted as set forth in (i), (ii) and (iii) hereof, then Trading Day shall mean a Business Day.
2. Registration of Warrant. The Company shall register this Warrant upon records to be maintained by the Company for that purpose (the “Warrant Register”), in the name of the record Holder hereof from time to time. The Company may deem and treat the registered Holder of this Warrant as the absolute owner hereof for the purpose of any exercise hereof or any distribution to the Holder, and for all other purposes, absent actual notice to the contrary.
3. Registration of Transfers. The Company shall register the transfer of any portion of this Warrant in the Warrant Register, upon surrender of this Warrant, with the Form of Assignment attached hereto duly completed and signed, to the Company at its address specified herein. Upon any such registration or transfer, a new Warrant to purchase Common Stock, in substantially the form of this Warrant (any such new Warrant, a “New Warrant”), evidencing the portion of this Warrant so transferred shall be issued to the transferee and a New Warrant evidencing the remaining portion of this Warrant not so transferred, if any, shall be issued to the transferring Holder. The acceptance of the New Warrant by the transferee thereof shall be deemed the acceptance by such transferee of all of the rights and obligations of a holder of a Warrant.
4. Exercise and Duration of Warrants. This Warrant shall be exercisable by the registered Holder at any time and from time to time on or after the first anniversary of the Original Issue Date through and including the Expiration Date; provided, however, that this Warrant shall become exercisable immediately upon the occurrence of a Change of Control Event. At 6:30 p.m., New York City time on the Expiration Date, the portion of this Warrant not exercised prior thereto shall be and become void and of no value. The Company may not call or redeem any portion of this Warrant without the prior written consent of the affected Holder.
5. Delivery of Warrant Shares.
(a) To effect exercises hereunder, the Holder shall not be required to physically surrender this Warrant unless the aggregate Warrant Shares represented by this Warrant is being exercised. Upon delivery of the Exercise Notice (in the form attached hereto) to the Company (with the attached Warrant Shares Exercise Log) at its address for notice set forth herein and upon payment of the Exercise Price multiplied by the number of Warrant Shares that the Holder intends to purchase hereunder, the Company shall promptly (but in no event later than three Trading Days after the Date of Exercise (as defined herein)) issue and deliver to the Holder, a certificate for the Warrant Shares issuable upon such exercise, which, unless otherwise required by the Organizational Agreement , shall be free of restrictive legends. The Company shall, upon request of the Holder and subsequent to the date on which a registration statement covering the resale of the Warrant Shares has been declared effective by the Securities and Exchange Commission (and provided that such registration statement is then effective), use its reasonable best efforts to deliver Warrant Shares hereunder electronically through the Depository Trust Corporation or another established clearing corporation performing similar functions, if available, provided, that, the Company may, but will not be required to change its transfer agent if its current transfer agent cannot deliver Warrant Shares electronically through the Depository Trust Corporation. A “Date of Exercise” means the date on which the Holder shall have delivered to the Company: (i) the Exercise Notice (with the Warrant Exercise Log attached to it), appropriately completed and duly signed and (ii) if such Holder is not utilizing the cashless exercise provisions set forth in this Warrant, payment of the Exercise Price for the number of Warrant Shares so indicated by the Holder to be purchased.
(b) If by the third Trading Day after a Date of Exercise the Company fails to deliver the required number of Warrant Shares in the manner required pursuant to Section 5(a), then the Holder will have the right to rescind such exercise.
(c) If by the third Trading Day after a Date of Exercise the Company fails to deliver the required number of Warrant Shares in the manner required pursuant to Section 5(a), and if after such third Trading Day and prior to the receipt of such Warrant Shares, the Holder purchases (in an open market transaction) shares of Common Stock to deliver in satisfaction of a sale by the Holder of the Warrant Shares which the Holder anticipated receiving upon such exercise (a “Buy-In“), then the Company shall (1) pay in cash to the Holder the amount by which (x) the Holder’s total purchase price (including brokerage commissions, if any) for the shares of Common Stock so purchased exceeds (y) the amount obtained by multiplying (A) the number of Warrant Shares that the Company was required to deliver to the Holder in connection with the exercise at issue by (B) the published closing price of the Common Stock on the Date of Exercise and (2) at the option of the Holder, either reinstate the portion of the Warrant and equivalent number of Warrant Shares for which such exercise was not honored or deliver to the Holder the number of shares of Common Stock that would have been issued had the Company timely complied with its exercise and delivery obligations hereunder. The Holder shall provide the Company written notice indicating the amounts payable to the Holder in respect of the Buy-In.
(d) The Company’s obligations to issue and deliver Warrant Shares in accordance with the terms hereof are absolute and unconditional, irrespective of any action or inaction by the Holder to enforce the same, any waiver or consent with respect to any provision hereof, the recovery of any judgment against any Person or any action to enforce the same, or any setoff, counterclaim, recoupment, limitation or termination, or any breach or alleged breach by the Holder or any other Person of any obligation to the Company or any violation or alleged violation of law by the Holder or any other Person, and irrespective of any other circumstance which might otherwise limit such obligation of the Company to the Holder in connection with the issuance of Warrant Shares. Nothing herein shall limit a Holder’s right to pursue any other remedies available to it hereunder, at law or in equity including, without limitation, a decree of specific performance and/or injunctive relief with respect to the Company’s failure to timely deliver certificates representing Warrant Shares upon exercise of the Warrant as required pursuant to the terms hereof.
6. Charges, Taxes and Expenses. Issuance and delivery of Warrant Shares upon exercise of this Warrant shall be made without charge to the Holder for any issue or transfer tax, withholding tax, transfer agent fee or other incidental tax or expense in respect of the issuance of such certificates, all of which taxes and expenses shall be paid by the Company; provided, however, that the Company shall not be required to pay any tax which may be payable in respect of any transfer involved in the registration of any certificates for Warrant Shares or Warrants in a name other than that of the Holder. The Holder shall be responsible for all other tax liability that may arise as a result of holding or transferring this Warrant or receiving Warrant Shares upon exercise hereof.
7. Replacement of Warrant. If this Warrant is mutilated, lost, stolen or destroyed, the Company shall issue or cause to be issued in exchange and substitution for and upon cancellation hereof, or in lieu of and substitution for this Warrant, a New Warrant, but only upon receipt of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of such loss, theft or destruction and customary and reasonable indemnity (which shall not include a surety bond), if requested. Applicants for a New Warrant under such circumstances shall also comply with such other reasonable regulations and procedures and pay such other reasonable third-party costs as the Company may prescribe. If a New Warrant is requested as a result of a mutilation of this Warrant, then the Holder shall deliver such mutilated Warrant to the Company as a condition precedent to the Company’s obligation to issue the New Warrant.
8. Reservation of Warrant Shares. The Company covenants that it will at all times reserve and keep available out of the aggregate of its authorized but unissued and otherwise unreserved Common Stock, solely for the purpose of enabling it to issue Warrant Shares upon exercise of this Warrant as herein provided, the number of Warrant Shares which are then issuable and deliverable upon the exercise of this entire Warrant, free from preemptive rights or any other contingent purchase rights of Persons other than the Holder (taking into account the adjustments and restrictions of Section 9). The Company covenants that all Warrant Shares so issuable and deliverable shall, upon issuance and the payment of the applicable Exercise Price in accordance with the terms hereof, be duly and validly authorized, issued and fully paid and nonassessable.
9. Certain Adjustments. The Exercise Price and number of Warrant Shares issuable upon exercise of this Warrant are subject to adjustment from time to time as set forth in this Section 9.
(a) Stock Dividends and Splits. If the Company, at any time while this Warrant is outstanding, (i) pays a stock dividend on its Common Stock or otherwise makes a distribution on any class of capital stock that is payable in shares of Common Stock, (ii) subdivides outstanding shares of Common Stock into a larger number of shares, or (iii) combines outstanding shares of Common Stock into a smaller number of shares, then in each such case the Exercise Price shall be multiplied by a fraction of which the numerator shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately before such event and of which the denominator shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately after such event. Any adjustment made pursuant to clause (i) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the record date for the determination of stockholders entitled to receive such dividend or distribution, and any adjustment pursuant to clause (ii) or (iii) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the effective date of such subdivision or combination.
(b) Fundamental Transactions. If at any time while this Warrant is outstanding there is a Fundamental Transaction, the Company shall provide each Holder with notice thereof in accordance with Section 9(f) herein. The Holder shall have until 5:30 p.m. on the tenth calendar day after receipt of any such notice (“Notice Date”) to exercise any remaining portion of this Warrant. Any portion of this Warrant which has not been exercised by 5:30 p.m. on the Notice Date shall be cancelled. The Company covenants to honor any Exercise Notice delivered by 5:30 p.m. on the Notice Date. If any Fundamental Transaction in respect of which such a notice shall have been given is not consummated, then such notice shall be deemed to have been of no force or effect.
(c) Number of Warrant Shares. Simultaneously with any adjustment to the Exercise Price pursuant to this Section 9, the number of Warrant Shares that may be purchased upon exercise of this Warrant shall be increased or decreased proportionately, so that after such adjustment the aggregate Exercise Price payable hereunder for the adjusted number of Warrant Shares shall be the same as the aggregate Exercise Price in effect immediately prior to such adjustment.
(d) Calculations. All calculations under this Section 9 shall be made to the nearest cent or the nearest 1/100th of a share, as applicable. The number of shares of Common Stock outstanding at any given time shall not include shares owned or held by or for the account of the Company, and the disposition of any such shares shall be considered an issue or sale of Common Stock.
(e) Notice of Adjustments. Upon the occurrence of each adjustment pursuant to this Section 9, the Company at its expense will promptly compute such adjustment in accordance with the terms of this Warrant and prepare a certificate setting forth such adjustment, including a statement of the adjusted Exercise Price and adjusted number or type of Warrant Shares or other securities issuable upon exercise of this Warrant (as applicable), describing the transactions giving rise to such adjustments and showing in detail the facts upon which such adjustment is based. Upon written request, the Company will promptly deliver a copy of each such certificate to the Holder and to the Company’s Transfer Agent.
(f) Notice of Corporate Events. If the Company (i) declares a dividend or any other distribution of cash, securities or other property in respect of its Common Stock, including without limitation any granting of rights or warrants to subscribe for or purchase any capital stock of the Company or any Subsidiary, (ii) authorizes or approves, enters into any agreement contemplating or solicits stockholder approval for any Fundamental Transaction or (iii) authorizes the voluntary dissolution, liquidation or winding up of the affairs of the Company, then the Company shall deliver to the Holder a notice describing the material terms and conditions of such transaction (but only to the extent such disclosure would not result in the dissemination of material, non-public information to the Holder) at least 10 calendar days prior to the applicable record or effective date on which a Person would need to hold Common Stock in order to participate in or vote with respect to such transaction, and the Company will take all steps reasonably necessary in order to insure that the Holder is given the practical opportunity to exercise this Warrant prior to such time so as to participate in or vote with respect to such transaction; provided, however, that the failure to deliver such notice or any defect therein shall not affect the validity of the corporate action required to be described in such notice.
10. Payment of Exercise Price. In connection with each exercise of this Warrant, the Holder may pay the Exercise Price in one of the following manners:
(a) Cash Exercise. The Holder may deliver immediately available funds; or
(b) Cashless Exercise. If after the one year anniversary of the Original Issue Date the Registration Statement has not been declared effective by the Commission, then the Holder may notify the Company in an Exercise Notice of its election to utilize cashless exercise, in which event the Company shall issue to the Holder the number of Warrant Shares determined as follows:
X = Y [(A-B)/A]
X = the number of Warrant Shares to be issued to the Holder.
Y = the number of Warrant Shares with respect to which this Warrant is being exercised.
A = the average of the closing prices for the five Trading Days immediately prior to (but not including) the Exercise Date.
B = the Exercise Price.
For purposes of Rule 144 promulgated under the Securities Act, it is intended, understood and acknowledged that the Warrant Shares issued in a cashless exercise transaction shall be deemed to have been acquired by the Holder, and the holding period for the Warrant Shares shall be deemed to have commenced, on the date this Warrant was originally issued.
11. Limitations on Exercise. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, the number of Warrant Shares that may be acquired by the Holder upon any exercise of this Warrant (or otherwise in respect hereof) shall be limited to the extent necessary to insure that, following such exercise (or other issuance), the total number of shares of Common Stock then beneficially owned by such Holder and its Affiliates and any other Persons whose beneficial ownership of Common Stock would be aggregated with the Holder’s for purposes of Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act, does not exceed 9.999% of the total number of issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock (including for such purpose the shares of Common Stock issuable upon such exercise). For such purposes, beneficial ownership shall be determined in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Exchange Act and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder. This provision shall not restrict the number of shares of Common Stock which a Holder may receive or beneficially own in order to determine the amount of securities or other consideration that such Holder may receive in the event of a Fundamental Transaction as contemplated in Section 9 of this Warrant. This restriction may not be waived, and notwithstanding anything to the contrary in any Transaction Document, may not be amended by agreement of the parties.
12. No Fractional Shares. No fractional shares of Warrant Shares will be issued in connection with any exercise of this Warrant. In lieu of any fractional shares which would, otherwise be issuable, the Company shall pay cash equal to the product of such fraction multiplied by the closing price of one Warrant Share as reported by the applicable Trading Market on the date of exercise.
13. Notices. Any and all notices or other communications or deliveries hereunder (including, without limitation, any Exercise Notice) shall be in writing and shall be deemed given and effective on the earliest of (i) the date of transmission, if such notice or communication is delivered via facsimile at the facsimile number specified in this Section prior to 6:30 p.m. (New York City time) on a Trading Day, (ii) the next Trading Day after the date of transmission, if such notice or communication is delivered via facsimile at the facsimile number specified in this Section on a day that is not a Trading Day or later than 6:30 p.m. (New York City time) on any Trading Day, (iii) the Trading Day following the date of mailing, if sent by nationally recognized overnight courier service, or (iv) upon actual receipt by the party to whom such notice is required to be given. The addresses for such communications shall be: (i) if to the Company, to Xethanol Corporation, Attn: President, or to Facsimile No.: (646) 723-4001 (or such other address as the Company shall indicate in writing in accordance with this Section), or (ii) if to the Holder, to the address or facsimile number appearing on the Warrant Register or such other address or facsimile number as the Holder may provide to the Company in accordance with this Section.
14. Warrant Agent. The Company shall serve as warrant agent under this Warrant. Upon 10 days’ notice to the Holder, the Company may appoint a new warrant agent. Any corporation into which the Company or any new warrant agent may be merged or any corporation resulting from any consolidation to which the Company or any new warrant agent shall be a party or any corporation to which the Company or any new warrant agent transfers substantially all of its corporate trust or shareholders services business shall be a successor warrant agent under this Warrant without any further act. Any such successor warrant agent shall promptly cause notice of its succession as warrant agent to be mailed (by first class mail, postage prepaid) to the Holder at the Holder’s last address as shown on the Warrant Register.
(a) This Warrant shall be binding on and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective successors and assigns. Subject to the preceding sentence, nothing in this Warrant shall be construed to give to any Person other than the Company and the Holder any legal or equitable right, remedy or cause of action under this Warrant. This Warrant may be amended only in writing signed by the Company and the Holder and their successors and assigns.
(b) All questions concerning the construction, validity, enforcement and interpretation of this Warrant shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New York (except for matters governed by corporate law in the State of Delaware), without regard to the principles of conflicts of law thereof. Each party agrees that all legal proceedings concerning the interpretations, enforcement and defense of this Warrant and the transactions herein contemplated (“Proceedings”) (whether brought against a party hereto or its respective Affiliates, employees or agents) shall be commenced exclusively in the New York Courts. Each party hereto hereby irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the New York Courts for the adjudication of any dispute hereunder or in connection herewith or with any transaction contemplated hereby or discussed herein, and hereby irrevocably waives, and agrees not to assert in any Proceeding, any claim that it is not personally subject to the jurisdiction of any New York Court, or that such Proceeding has been commenced in an improper or inconvenient forum. Each party hereto hereby irrevocably waives personal service of process and consents to process being served in any such Proceeding by mailing a copy thereof via registered or certified mail or overnight delivery (with evidence of delivery) to such party at the address in effect for notices to it under this Warrant and agrees that such service shall constitute good and sufficient service of process and notice thereof. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to limit in any way any right to serve process in any manner permitted by law. Each party hereto hereby irrevocably waives, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, any and all right to trial by jury in any legal proceeding arising out of or relating to this Warrant or the transactions contemplated hereby. If either party shall commence a Proceeding to enforce any provisions of this Warrant, then the prevailing party in such Proceeding shall be reimbursed by the other party for its attorney’s fees and other costs and expenses incurred with the investigation, preparation and prosecution of such Proceeding.
(c) The headings herein are for convenience only, do not constitute a part of this Warrant and shall not be deemed to limit or affect any of the provisions hereof.
(d) In case any one or more of the provisions of this Warrant shall be invalid or unenforceable in any respect, the validity and enforceability of the remaining terms and provisions of this Warrant shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby and the parties will attempt in good faith to agree upon a valid and enforceable provision which shall be a commercially reasonable substitute therefor, and upon so agreeing, shall incorporate such substitute provision in this Warrant.
(e) Prior to exercise of this Warrant, the Holder hereof shall not, by reason of being a Holder, be entitled to any rights of a stockholder with respect to the Warrant Shares.
[REMAINDER OF PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK,
SIGNATURE PAGE FOLLOWS]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has caused this Warrant to be duly executed by its authorized officer as of the date first indicated above.
By: /s/ Lawrence S. Bellone
Name: Lawrence S. Bellone
WARRANT DATED [ ], 2006
The undersigned Holder hereby irrevocably elects to purchase _____________ shares of Common Stock pursuant to the above referenced Warrant. Capitalized terms used herein and not otherwise defined have the respective meanings set forth in the Warrant.
(1) The undersigned Holder hereby exercises its right to purchase _________________ Warrant Shares pursuant to the Warrant.
(2) The Holder intends that payment of the Exercise Price shall be made as (check one):
____“Cash Exercise” under Section 10
____“Cashless Exercise” under Section 10
(3) If the holder has elected a Cash Exercise, the holder shall pay the sum of $____________ to the Company in accordance with the terms of the Warrant.
(4) Pursuant to this Exercise Notice, the Company shall deliver to the holder _______________ Warrant Shares in accordance with the terms of the Warrant.
(5) By its delivery of this Exercise Notice, the undersigned represents and warrants to the Company that in giving effect to the exercise evidenced hereby the Holder will not beneficially own in excess of the number of shares of Common Stock (determined in accordance with Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934) permitted to be owned under Section 11 of this Warrant to which this notice relates.
Dated: __________, ____
Name of Holder:
(Signature must conform in all respects to name of holder as specified on the face of the Warrant)
Warrant Shares Exercise Log
Number of Warrant Shares
Available to be Exercised
Number of Warrant
Number of Warrant Shares
Remaining to be Exercised
WARRANT ORIGINALLY ISSUED [ ], 2006
WARRANT NO. [ ]
FORM OF ASSIGNMENT
[To be completed and signed only upon transfer of Warrant]
FOR VALUE RECEIVED, the undersigned hereby sells, assigns and transfers unto ________________________________ the right represented by the above-captioned Warrant to purchase ____________ shares of Common Stock to which such Warrant relates and appoints ________________ attorney to transfer said right on the books of the Company with full power of substitution in the premises.
Dated: _______________, ____
(Signature must conform in all respects to name of holder as specified on the face of the Warrant)
Address of Transferee
In the presence of: